Monday, February 18, 2008

Woozy

When I was in the hospital I talked to the anesthesiologiest about nausea and my past experiences with surgeries. She was really great, listened to me, and gave me a patch to wear behind my ear that was good for 72 hours plus had me take a Prilosec every day. It worked like a charm.

By the time I got home, the patch was done and the nausea set in. Mind you, I've read a lot of blogs so this wasn't a surprize, but man is it miserable. I'm taking OTC Prilosec and Dramamine, but it's not the same. I think I need to call the doctor's office tomorrow and get an Rx for a couple more patches. When I go back and do my left leg, I won't leave the hospital without one.

On the one hand, I'm still really queasy, and it sounds as though there's a thunderstorm going on in my lower tract. The plumbing was nice and well behaved in the hospital - now it's looking for it's moment in the spotlight. My leg is swollen and while it's not any bigger than it was last night, it's not any smalller either. I have some kind of itchy pimply bumps that popped up on my upper back last night. Ugh.

On the other hand, I feel like I'm really making progress. The leg pain isn't nearly as bad as I had anticipated (to date) and I'm feeling more and more comfortable on the crutches. I need to have a hardcore, flatline 2 hour nap every day, but that's to be expected. When I'm not sleeping, I get up and do a lap around the kitchen every hour and I feel less stiff each time afterwards. Tonight when I was getting ready for bed my husband layed out my clothes and fuzzy socks and then went downstairs to get me some water. When he came back up I had changed and managed to get my sock onto my good leg. He said "ooooooh! You put a sock on all by yourself!!" We both had to laugh. I probably haven't been complemented on my putting on a sock skills since I was about 3...

Today my friends Bronwyn and Baxter Beans stopped by to say hello. They brought a little baby Azalia that I can plant outside in the spring. I'm hoping it's a tough one - my track record with house plants is a little darwinian. (I'll do my best Bronwyn!)

Tomorrow is a big day. I get to take a shower (trust me, I need it) and I'm going to get a blow-out so I don't have to fuss with doing my own hair. Fun, fun! Wednesday we will go to the mall so I can put my crutching skills to the test and also see where my stamina is.

Positive, positive, positive. I am getting stronger every day.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Your sock moment made me laugh because I had so many - and would either feel proud of my sock achievements, or like a loser for having to have sock achievements. Usually depending on my level of medication! Congratulations though on getting through surgery. If you're emailing yet, let me know if you have any questions I can help with.