Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Not Quite So Fast

So, last night I took 2 Tylenol PM's instead of vicodin before bed and then 2 more around 3 AM. I didn't sleep very well. I didn't feel as rested when I woke up. The visiting nurse came to meet with me this morning and I told her about it. She told me to stay on the vicodins at night for a while longer because I need the rest to heal. As much as I hate the idea of taking narcotics, I agree with her. Oh well. The nurse did say that I was doing well though and that the PT will be calling me soon to set up that program.

We went to the Westchester Mall today for about an hour for me to practice my crutching skills. What I realized very quickly is that you need to treat being on crutches like being a defensive driver. You can't assume that everyone sees you and that even if they do, some of them can't be bothered to step out of your way. Nice!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Yay! Movin' on crutches!!!

Once at a movie theater, Larry and I saw a cartoon character knock over a woman on crutches. It was sad. If you see anybody in a big-head costume, watch out.

I had to find out about pain meds the hard way, also. Sometimes it's better to put up with them for a while so you don't get too worn down. I got nauseous also. I hope the patch works for you again.

Maybe we'll see you at class tonight? I would understand if you were exhausted after the field trip today, though. Thanks for sending Charlie's email! Best, Shannon

Jessica said...

Hey, there--

I hope you make it to class tonight--if nothing else but to lift your spirits. I'm sure Paris would love nothing more than to run around and show off for you!

Glad you have a nurse whose able to guide you through this maze of medicine and pain. I agree with you, it's probably better to heal now and try to get through the nights with the meds rather than find a way around them. I'm sure you won't have to take them for too long.

The nice thing about crutches is that if some dope gets in your way, you can always whack him with it! That'll learn him.

xox
Jessica