Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Blues

I've been having a rough couple of days - I feel kinda blue/blah/PMessy. I think part of it is being off of the pill (clotting risk post surgery) but it's mostly the lack of exercise.

I know, I know I'm a cry-baby broken record on this topic: whaa, whaa, whaa! While riding into work this AM it occurred to me that I could go kayaking for cardio. So now I've got my fingers and toes crossed that the weather holds out this weekend. I'm also hoping that the kayaking place up the river is still in business.

In getting my head game together for my surgery and recovery, this aspect of it never crossed my mind. I just never thought I'd feel this way about working out. I've never been particularly regimented about going to the gym (I'm kidding myself here, that's a gross understatement) but commuting in and out of Manhattan means lots and lots of fast walking, and stairs, and dashing through intersections to make lights. Exercise happens without even trying. To my credit, I did do Pilates and T'ai Chi on a regular basis. I also walked the pooch every morning and ran her in two agility classes every week; I putzed around the garden, and ran up and down the stairs at home every time my little A.D.D. brain decided I needed something from whatever level I wasn't on.

I am walking from GCT to Times Square and back every day, which is maybe a little over a mile in total. I also try to get out of the building every day to walk and get my lunch from a local deli. The big diff now is that I have to use my "regal walk," as Adam calls it: The queen isn't in a rush, heavens no, she won't ever move fast enough to perspire.

Another thing that's got me down is that today would have been my former assistant's 27th birthday. Tragically, he died in a car crash during Christmas break a little over 3 years ago. I still miss him. He was one of my best and filled with potential.

I'm getting a massage tomorrow morning, which is always good for the spirits. I've also refilled my Yaz and will start those back up the nanosecond I can.

No comments: