Friday, April 11, 2008

Coffee with Sarah

Today Sarah, of Paper or Dysplastic fame, and I met for coffee. It is she that I have to thank for leading me to Dr. Buly and for writing a blog that answered so many of my questions. Nearly a year ahead of me, she's having her hardware removed next week. It was her blog and the others that ultimately inspired me to write my own. At first I published mine out of a sense of duty - returning the favor to those who are walking this path behind me. I had no idea when I started what a positive outlet this would turn out to be.

It occurred to me while we were talking that had this been 15 years ago, I would have had to face this whole ordeal alone. Sure, I have the support of my husband and family, but sympathetic as they are, they haven't lived in Hipville. It's been the internet and the blogs of my HipChick Sisters who have made me feel that I am not alone, I am not a freak, and that I can do this. Thank you too Lauren, Sam, and Cass (just to name a few.) I think of us as an underground sorority of sorts - Alpha Phi Dysplasia.

Sarah and I are seemingly in the minority in Hipville, having had FO's and not PAO's. I've seen the CAT scans of my femur bones pointed in different directions; my hip sockets are small, but serviceable. I know that what I had was the right procedure for me. I'm grateful to know someone who not only had the same condition, but is also in my neighborhood.

Best of luck to you next week Sarah. You will be in my thoughts Thursday afternoon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alpha Phi Dysplasia - I love it I think we should have T-shirts made for when we pull off the PAO/FO get together. I am so glad to hear that you are doing so well and I know how fantastic it is when you get to meet a fellow hip sister. It final makes one feel normal.