Thursday, April 10, 2008

Metal Naked and/or Blubber Girl

This morning I got to LAX extra, extra early due to the on-going American Airlines MD-80 drama (thankfully, I'm on a 767-300) and the metal blade that is dutifully holding my femur bone together. I took care to dress as metal naked as possible today - my wedding band, bra, and dental fillings are the only metal on me. For whatever reason, LAX is on high security today with cops set up at the airport entrance for trunk checks of vehicles. I'm thinking that this is a perfect opportunity to truly test my metalness.

So then, I DON'T set off the metal detector and I'm actually a weensie bit let down. I almost feel as though I've earned my special TSA pat down what with all of the effort of my surgery. Now I'm wondering maybe it WAS the barrett that set it off on Tuesday and not the 10" of stainless steel lodged in my thigh. Or maybe it's the blubber on my thigh that's concealing my pin. I do recall being told that I would only set off the detectors about half of the time, but it makes me wonder.

Before my surgery I dropped about 5 pounds that needed to go and then during my 6 weeks on crutches lost about 3 more due to the cardio workout that crutching through NYC brought on. Now that I've been on a cane for 3 weeks those 3 pounds are back. I've got virtually no cardio in my life now that I'm walking at the pace of an 80 year old. Come to think of it, I know some 80-somethings (Ray) who probably walk a lot faster than me right now.

I've never been one to obsess about my weight. I'm not pencil thin by any means, but I am blessed with a high metabolism, slim parents, and healthy eating habits. Never in my life have I been this sedentary. I feel like a potato.

I have a personal training date with Adam bright and early tomorrow morning. He's told me twice now that he's not going to let me get on the stationary bike just yet. I may resort to begging. Either that or I'll have to dust off the crutches and take a couple of laps around the block just to get my heart rate up again.

No comments: