Sunday, April 20, 2008

Just Get Over Yourself Cowgirl!

Looking for an alternative to my cowboy boots, today was probably the most depressing shoe shopping trip I've had EVER...

Everything is either too high, too flat, or just too damn frumpy. I found a pair of Stewart Weitzman wedges that would have worked with my suits that I could have actually stomached. They were even on sale. Of course, "on sale" is code for: they're complete sold out of my size system-wide. Of course they are. At least the woman was nice to me. In every other store I went into I probably could have taped a platinum American Express card to my forehead and they still wouldn't have helped me. No one wants to wait on Cane Girl with the sour look on her face. Admittedly, my mood went downhill pretty quickly.

So that leaves me back again with my cowboy boots. I did remember today that I have a pair of chefs' clogs in my desk - I'll have to dust them off tomorrow and give them a shot. But I'm still without anything I can wear with my dressier pants. I think my only option is to wear the clogs back and forth to work and then slip into something less comfortable once I get there.

You'd think skirts would be a good option, and I'm all for them in the wintertime when I've got the security of black tights and boots to cover things up. But I'm as pale as the dead, so skirts in the spring/summertime are always dicey with me. I end up worrying about whether or not my self-tanner is blotchy or has started to molt, which doesn't do a whole lot for my self confidence in what I'm wearing. Makes me kinda miss the days of using a tanning bed without all the guilt.

I realize that this is just a whole lotta whining about shoes. It just depressed the hell out of me today. When we went for our pack walk tonight I had my moment of just being tired of all of this: the gimp sticks, the PT exercises, of not being able to wear my suits and my shoes...

I need to keep things in perspective:

  • I don't have the pain that I had before my surgery.
  • I live in a country and an area where I have access to some of the best doctors and hospitals in the world.
  • I have insurance - even though they are trying to screw me.
  • It's just shoes
Buck up Cowgirl and get over it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your posts and just had to chime in on this one on shoes. I recently had PAO surgery but many years ago was told that the only shoes I could wear beyond stabilizing running shoes for overpronators are either clogs (like the ones in your post) or Birkenstocks. The shoe limitation was due to a bunch of crooked foot bones - which it turns out is a condition that is fairly common in conjunction with hip dyplasia.
Now I'm no fashion maven but what does one wear with dresses? Anyway, I can empathize with your shoe dilemna. I've spend many an hour in the good walking shoe stores only to come out in my clogs. Here's hoping you find something to wear. Laurie