Saturday, March 1, 2008

Pop Up Day

Today is Pop Up Day, a day that has existed in my mind since I was very young. It's one of my favorite days of the year, as it is a harbinger of Spring. I'll explain -

When I was a kid my Auntie Jeanne gave me a poster from the college she was attending in Manhattan. At the center was a photo of NYC taken with a fish eye lens. Running down either side of the photo were the months of the year - on the left side September, October, November, December, January, and February. Running down the the right side was March, April, May, June, July, and August. The poster hung on the wall at the foot of my bed and this is how I learned the months of the year. That the year didn't actually start on September 1st was a conundrum to me when it came time to officially learn the months of the year in school. Being the visual person that I am, I continue to think of the months of the year laid out this way. So, yesterday we were at the bottom of the left hand column and today we "popped up" to the top of the right hand column. Although it's snowing outside right now, I know that because we're now on this side of the calendar, Spring is on the way.

And now back to Hipville...

This afternoon Doug and I are going to make a trial run into the office so that I can test drive the commute for Monday. We're also going to have dinner with friends, which is the best part of all.

This year Pop Up Day is also a harbinger of normalcy.

No comments: