Thursday, March 6, 2008

3 Weeks Post Operative

(Apologies to Sam for copying your format... Imitation is flattery, I promise.)

It's been 3 weeks since my Femoral Derotation Osteotomy and Arthroscopy and here's what I can do:

  • Go to work 3 days a week without feeling totally wiped out. (Only partially.)
  • Commute from Grand Central Terminal to Times Square with my New York Attitude - Please and Thank You's to all of my Compassionates and free flowing commentary to all of the Assh*les. "Fried Green Tomatoes" had "Towanda," Hipchicknyc has "Crutch Girl."
  • Dress myself with the exception of my right sock (although I do get it about 85% of the time.)
  • Bathe with the exception of my right foot. Lucky for me, the shower on a hose does an adequate job.
  • Lie on my left side for almost 10 minutes before I have to flip back to my back.
  • Get in and out of the car by myself. Trust me, we have a big/high SUV - it's an act.
  • Go up and down stairs with confidence and not feeling like I need a spotter.
  • Get through the day with only Tylenol for the pain, and not necessarily take the full 8 that I'm allowed per day.
  • My crutching stamina is improving and that arm muscle definition I've been waiting for is finally starting to come in. (I'm looking forward to a summer full of racerbacks, beaters, and string tees. I'm also going to do all I can do to hang onto some of my new found upper body strength - especially since I have the left hip to look forward to in '09.)

Here's the very best part of all - while I still have pain, it's related to the surgery and it's getting to be less and less. The gnawing, nagging, ever-present aching in my hip that I had prior to the surgery is GONE. That is truly amazing.

For my fellow Hip Chicks who are to follow (I'm thinking of you, Cassie) my best advice is to stay positive. You'll have your moments, but you can do it. There's a silver lining to everything - you just have to look for it.

No comments: