Saturday, March 29, 2008

PT vs. PT

Today I started PT with Adam.

I did close to a year of Physical Therapy to treat generalized ligament laxity before learning that what I really have is bilateral hip dysplasia. I hated PT and it felt like a chore. The worst part was that, for all of those many, many sessions, I didn't get any better. It was Dr. Buly who told me that I could do all the PT in the world, but it wouldn't fix my hips. It was a relief to know why all that work hadn't gained me any ground. Because of my experience, I associate Physical Therapy with being a complete waste of my time.

And so today I am back at PT. I opted to go to a place affiliated with HSS - the PT chop shop I'd been to previously wasn't even on the list. Shocking. This time it will be different. There's a part of me that still balks at the mind-numbing exercises, but this place does feel different. For one thing, I'm not being treated by a 20-something who just got his/her associate's degree in PT a month ago; I've got a real guy who knows his stuff and explains why I need to do this. He also figured me out in a heartbeat - I'm a girl who's going to over do it/rush it/push it the second no one's looking. He was rather adamant that I play by the rules, but also explained the reasons why. I will listen to reason if the argument is sufficient, and it was.

Mainly though, this experience will be different because for weeks I've been telling myself that this time PT will be a positive. I've also decided that I'm not going to see a Physical Therapist twice a week, I'm going to a Personal Trainer. I'm going to come out of this walking like a normal person, with a right foot that's no longer atrophied, and with the right side of my ass looking like it's supposed to, and not the deflated thing it became shortly after surgery.

Personal Training: I am ready.

1 comment:

JenXer said...

I know that PT is a major pain (figuratively, and sometimes literally), but it will help so much with your healing.

(This, coming from someone who really really really dislikes exercise.)

Jen