Monday, March 31, 2008

Take Me Out To The... Rain Delay

The New York Yankees Opening Day was postponed until tomorrow due to rain, but not until the stadium was packed full and we all had hung around for a couple of hours. Take two is tomorrow night.

The big challenge for me with a cane, is that I'm slow. I'm also finding that as a person walking with a cane, I'm less noticeable then when I was on crutches. When tens of thousands of mostly semi-intoxicated people are trying to get on a subway, it can get ugly. I had Doug walk directly behind me to block and prevent me from getting run over. As we were going down the stairs to get on the subway some guy was bitching at his wife (who was directly behind Doug) for not going fast enough. Trust me, I had words for them - they chose to completely ignore me. Perhaps if they had just kicked me down the stairs they could have moved faster.

My personal trainer has advised me to get either a set of what he calls Canadian Crutches (the shorties with arm cuffs) or a second cane. I need to walk with them for at least 10 minutes twice a day so that I can practice walking without listing to one side. I figure that I'll probably be on the Canadians when I have my pins removed anyway, so on our way home today we ordered a pair from the pharmacy. They MIGHT be in by the time I need to get on the train tomorrow morning. I hope they are - I'm curious to see how I fare in the crowds with them. Perhaps I'll be a little more noticeable and people either back off and/or hold their tongues.

I've got one word for you, Mister Kicka Gimp Down the Stairs: KARMA.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Oh, boy!! First off, here's to a dry opening day for you guys! Second off, I don't know what to say. I am constantly amazed at how sucky people can be. But I am heartened that you are licensed to carry canes and crutches and can use them in a variety of ways.

Hope things are going well with Doug's dad...

xox
Jessica