Friday, March 21, 2008

Freakin' Tourists!

Over the last 3 weeks I've had my share of positive and negative experiences pertaining to my commute. New Yorkers, on the whole, are very good people. I've had countless offers of help up and down stairs and many, many doors opened or held for me without my asking. I think that for those of us who regularly use public transportation, it isn't difficult to imagine oneself in my shoes (or on my crutches.) New Yorkers get it.

Tourists are a whole different lot. I can't figure out if they think that because they're in New York they're supposed to be rude, as they misguidedly think we are, or if it's just that the bulk of them are truly idiots. The sarcasm in "oh please, let ME get out of YOUR way" is completely lost on them.

The holiday had them out in droves today. Thankfully, after 5 weeks on crutches I'm pretty sure of myself. I've actually gone so far as to intentionally clip a couple of them just to get the point across.

I acknowledge that all out of towners aren't bad. I also think that Times Square happens to be the magnet for the worst of them and my office happens to be smack dab in the middle of it.

Let them be warned: I will be weight bearing soon and armed with a cane!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Since I live near where you work I can totally relate to the tourist aspect. I definitely would clip them with my crutch... or just put my crutch down really forcefully really close to their foot and give them the hairy eyeball. And then I would feel kind of bad... they're just doing their best... but it's true about the "Oh I'm in New York so I need to be a badass" aspect. What is that? Do they really think we're going to pull a gun or something? Then again, we are stabbing them with crutches...