Saturday, March 29, 2008

More Hip Drama

This time it is not my own.

My father-in-law, Art, fell on Thursday night and broke his femur. Last night they did a partial (ball only) hip replacement. Doug, our niece and I drove up to Cape Cod to see him today.

I really feel for him. Unlike me, who had the time to physically and emotionally prepare, his surgery is the result of an accident. He is 48 years my senior and frail. Visiting him today brought back a lot of what I went through when I was the patient. My recovery has been physically challenging and for weeks, tired me to no end. I know that he has a tough road ahead.

I am reaffirmed that I have made the right decision to have my hips corrected while I am young and healthy enough to do so. I know that I will have to work to keep myself and my rebuilt hips in the best condition possible throughout my entire life, but by doing so I'll be better equipped to deal with physical issues later in life. I am thankful for our health insurance and to live near one of the best hospitals in the world.

Get well soon Art!

No comments: