Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Hip Chick vs. Cigna - Round 2

It turns out that while Cigna did decide to process Dr. Buly's fees as in-network, they also took the liberty of applying a 50% multiple surgery discount to my arthroscopy. This would leave me with a $5,000 balance on that procedure plus the $2,500 they aren't paying on the femoral osteotomy.

Of course, when I spoke with them prior to my surgery to find out exactly how much I'd be liable for, they never mentioned a discount. At the time they swore up and down I'd only owe the $4,000 maximum out of network, out of pocket.

The nice Cigna man on the phone yesterday (and I do mean that) told me that they should have told me about the discount when I called in February. Well, "should have told me" isn't good enough. They DIDN'T tell me. In fact, they told me I'd only owe $4,000. I'm so thankful for the copious notes and call reference numbers I so dutifully noted. I'm not letting them get away with sticking this to me.

And so round two of the appeal process begins...

No comments: