Sunday, May 4, 2008

Abby Normal

I've reached the point where when people meet me, they have absolutely no idea that I had major surgery a few months ago. I'm seemingly normal. That is, until they ask me to carry something heavy and/or move quickly - then they must think I'm just a slug or some unmotivated lazy-ass chick. I no longer have the cane or crutches to flag me a being a gimp.

Doug and I volunteered at a dog trial today and that was just the case. They needed us to quickly help set up the competition rings which involved schlepping a bunch of gates around. Doug was doing his share but I had to be the "I can't lift that much weight" chick, whom I would normally roll my eyes at if the shoe were on the another foot.

The good news is that I made it through the day without any pain. I'm continually getting better/stronger through PT, but it still feels as though I have an enormous rubber band stretched across my hip that's limiting its movement. My limp seemed to go away overnight. It was if some primitive part of my brain finally got the message that the hip has been re-engineered - it had its light bulb moment of "ah, ha! So this is how it works!" and bingo, the limp disappeared. Unfortunately I can't just snap my fingers and make the feeling of tightness go away - I know it's going to take time and effort, and that's the hard part for me.

I want to be fully back already.

No comments: