Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I am SO Bungee Jumping!

My mother lives in New Zealand and I try to go there for a visit every other year. Doug and I were there in '06 and we spent a little time in the Lake Taupo area. While exploring, we came across a bungee jumping place that had a platform high above the Waikato River. They were closed for the day but we walked out onto it as far as we could. As I stood at the gate, 20' from the jump point, I looked down at the river and thought "I could do this..." And then "I WANT to do this!" The next day we moved onto another part of NZ and the jump never happened.

Flash forward two years and I'm on crutches, my femur having been sawed in half and reattached at a different angle. Flash forward another six months and we're back in New Zealand with bungee jumping not on the itinerary. I didn't ask before the trip - I just floated the idea by Elaine, saying that I wouldn't be doing it on this trip. I had thoughts of detached limbs - the mental image wasn't pretty.

Today I had my pre-surgery appointment with Dr. Buly regarding my left hip. At my right hip pre-surgery appointment I literally had a list of 22 questions. This time I had only five: Can I have the same anesthesiologist? What is the order in which the three procedures will be done? Is the bone sawed in half with the hip in or out of the socket? (this was a question from my friends and the answer is IN.) What do I need to do to get the hardware back? And finally, will I ever be able to bungee jump??? Dr. B. said yes - once I'm fully recovered (reasonable.) No detached limbs, no osteotomies undone - it'll be fine.

2010 NZ trip - I HAVE TO DO IT!!

No comments: