Monday, September 1, 2008

Pop Up Day - 6 Months Later

September 1st - the other Pop Up Day of the year in the world according to Laura.

How far I've come in 6 months:
  • I feel like a normal person most of the time.
  • My left hip hurts more often and more painfully than my right.
  • My scar isn't so bad.
  • It was worth it, worth it, worth it.

In 3 months and a day I'll be back in to have my left hip done. My second surgery will be almost a year to the day that I learned I have hip dysplasia and that the pain that had been plaguing me for years could be alleviated.

I'm looking forward to February pop-up '09. I'll be done with my surgery, done with my crutches and done with my cane. And except for the final hardware removal, I'll be done with the year of the hip.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Hi Lauren--I've never ever blogged before so this is all new. I am having PAO surgery with Dr. Joel Matta in Santa Monica CA November 5, right hip. Have read some blogs online and they have been helpful and informative (and scary!) Was curious, why did you have an osteotomy vs. a PAO? Do you know of anyone who has had surgery with Dr. Matta?

LH said...

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your note. I'm glad you've been reading the blogs - they helped me so much. I've found it cathartic to have my own and only hope I'm being helpful to my fellow Hip Sisters as well.

I had an FO instead of a PAO because it was the best option for me. My hip sockets are sufficiently shallow to be classified as being mildly dysplastic, but the heads of my femors are the real problem. One was rotated out, the other is rotated in, and both at too steep of an angle sitting in the socket. Not having FO's isn't an option for me, and thankfully I don't need to have PAO's on top of them.

I don't know Dr. Matta but I'd be willing to bet that someone on the Yahoo hip group (link on right hand side of my blog) has.

It can be scary, but you're not alone. The more you look, the more of us you'll discover. For me, having corrective surgery was the best decision - my right side is worlds better than it was a year ago. I'm looking forward to my left side being equally well.

Feel free to post again or email if you have any questions.

best of luck,
Laura